A drummer is considered to be the main part of any band, and he certainly deserves the best in ear monitors for drummers to keep his focus on playing, especially when the crowd is cheering and screaming.
It is not always easy to make the right choice among the multitude of headphones available on the market.
When you go to see your favorite band or singer, you may wonder why do singers wear an earpiece on stage. Is it because they really aren’t singing? In-ear monitors are basically half-ear and half-ear. They help you get a balanced mix of instruments on stage and at the same time provide your ear with adequate protection by creating a barrier.
Looking at the latest devices on the market you can find In-Ear monitors for drummers. Basically, these little devices are used as headphones that reduce ambient noise and give you real-time feedback on your drumming.
We have selected a list of the 5 best in ear monitors for drummers, enjoy.
In a hurry? Here are quick links of our top 5 recommendations of best in ear monitors for drummers:
- Audio-Technica ATH-E70
- Westone UM Pro20
- Shure SE215-CL
- Etymotic Research ER4P-T microPro
- MEE audio M6 PRO
Whatever your budget, here you can find an ideal choice of the best in-ear monitors for drummers and all other areas of your life that demand pristine performances.
Check out my personal favorites and see what arouses your interest. My list of the best in ear monitors for drummers includes affordable, expensive, beginner-friendly saxophones, as well as complex saxophones in alto and tenor variants.
Let us help you make the decision to purchase an in-ear monitor to begin your music career. These are some of the best in-ear monitors for drummers you can buy today.
Best In Ear Monitors for Drummers: Our Picks
Its review time! From one of the strongest acoustic musical instruments in a band, it can be difficult to play with your fellow musicians.
That’s why we are discussing the 5 best in ear monitors for drummers to protect your hearing from your own drum kit.
The Audio-Technica ATH-E70 headphones have a modern design that adheres to the philosophy of functionality over form.
These quality IEMs offer great performance for their price class.
The ATH E70 in-ear monitors have an over-the-ear construction and flexible memory cables. The cables are detachable and replaceable, increasing the life of the monitors.
The new Westone UM Pro 20 Triple Driver comes with many new features. The first thing you should notice is its rich, full bass, which gives you extra punch and better articulation. It comes with momentum and a better tempo.
The good thing about this internal monitor is that the bass doesn’t interfere with the sound of the media. His mids were sharp without overwhelming the remaining sound profile.
You will love its moldable memory cable which is quite flexible and can be easily adapted to your ear for a tight and secure fit. Once in place, they feel extremely comfortable, making them perfect to wear for a long time.
Now we are getting to the most serious things. If you’re playing drums just for fun, or just want a pair of fancy headphones for your mp3 collection, they’re probably out of your reach as they’re pretty expensive.
These can’t really hit you in the back like a great pair of monitors, but you will definitely dig the way the UM Pro 30 makes your band sound in your mix separately.
The Shure CL Series Sound Isolating Headphones have been developed from personal monitor technology. These earplugs have been tested by professional musicians and drummers, and they admire you for their improved bass and rich sound quality.
You will not have any external sound interference while you are busy playing the drums on stage.
Being lightweight and low profile, you will get a very comfortable and secure fit. The exclusively optimized angle of the mouthpiece gives you a great grip on the ears and makes these headphones rest comfortably.
Let’s start with one of the most established models available on the market, which comes from one of the most recognized manufacturers when it comes to microphones and headphones.
These babies were derived from the much more expensive Shure models, road-tested, and developed with professional musicians from all musical genres.
Compared to other products, the SE215 is fairly competitively priced and it’s fair to say you get a lot for your money. Unlike most of its competitors, Shure relies on a good single dynamic driver for sound delivery to your ears.
The amount of low frequencies delivered from such a small package is quite respectable.
When it comes to sound insulation, the SE215 blocks any noise down to the 37 dB mark. If you are not playing in full stadiums, these internal monitors will live up to your expectations.
There are three different sizes of flexible foam sleeves to choose from, and generally speaking, these are some of the best IEMs for drummers when it comes to comfort.
The SE215 comes in 5 optional finishes: clear, white, blue, blue/gray, and black.
ER4P-T is s very popular in-ear monitors by Etymotic which comes with one of the most amazing noise isolation features and unrivaled sound quality.
The audio output is professional quality and its profile is light and very comfortable.
These headphones come with ACCU Driver balanced armature drivers that help produce much more realistic audio with 86% more accuracy compared to other internal monitors on the market.
The included cables are handwoven and silver plated and of course, are removable. One comes with remote control and a microphone.
With a universal fit, MEE audio M6 Pro is one of the best internal monitors. These headphones offer exceptional sound quality that has deep bass and unmatched clarity that will make you love them more.
The crisp, detailed sound with a sleek, stylish design sets them apart from their competitors.
The memory foam pads that are used not only help reduce external noise, but also give you a nice, secure, and personalized fit.
As a newcomer to the market, MEE Audio makes good products at a fraction of the price of its competitors without compromising on sound quality.
At first glance, these babies look really cute, and the clear finish makes it easy to look inside and see all the intricate circuits that deliver sound to your ears. Incidentally, the M6 Pro is also available in black.
The package you get for the price is quite considerable. You get two cables, one of which is equipped with a microphone and remote control. Both cables are detachable, which is another nice touch in terms of durability and longevity.
You can choose SEVEN different ear tips: six silicone and one foam, so you can find the most comfortable combo for your ears.
On the other hand, the sound from these in-ear monitors may not live up to expectations based on design and visual characteristics.
The M6 Pro is pretty good with bass frequency reproduction, but the higher treble range sounds a little soft, especially if you like to get a few cymbals in your ear monitor mix. But then again, it’s decent enough considering the cost.
What Is An In-Ear Monitor?
Unlike traditional headphones, which only stay on the surface, the in-ear monitor will fit directly into the ear canal so you can enjoy your sound as closely as possible. The result is a very good acoustic insulation with virtually no need for space.
Originally they were used by artists on stage who took advantage of the extreme isolation of these headphones to recover their voice.
Builders like Shure have noticed that they also use them in everyday life and have had the idea to offer them to the general public with the success that we know them to be.
Because although it seems asocial. It must be said that it is quite pleasant to completely isolate yourself from external noise aggressions to be in a phase of internal contemplation with the best pieces.
However, the downside to interest also comes from this extreme isolation that completely separates it from the outside world, causing it to lose its focus while also facing potentially dangerous situations.
Don’t forget that the ears are the companions of the eyes to detect danger, such as a car traveling on the road when it crosses. The sound of a booth with a live object that hasn’t heard it arrive rarely goes well …
The other downside comes from its mode of operation that delivers music into the ear that can discourage more than one. The sensation is very different from that of a helmet that covers your ear, and not all of us have the same sensitivity on this issue.
What Makes Up An In-Ear Monitor System
In its most basic form, this is what makes up a professional IEM system.
- In-ear monitors
- Wireless bodypack and receiver
- Digital mixer
- Additional antennas for a greater range
Without going into too much detail, this lists the basic requirements for creating an IEM configuration.
Note that you can remove the wireless receiver and bodypack if you choose to use a headphone extension cable.
So, which are the best in ear monitors for drummers?
The best in-ear monitors for drummers really depends on what type you are looking for, what level of performance you are on, and how you want to use it. Our best choice for the best in ear monitors for drummers is the Audio-Technica ATH-E70.
- Three balanced armature drivers provide accurate and extended response across the entire frequency range
- Flexible memory cable loops over ears for a custom fit and long-wearing comfort
- Specially designed housing provides maximum isolation, allowing you to focus on the music
- Detachable cable offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
- Includes a carrying case, silicone ear tips, Comply foam ear tips and 6.3mm (1/4") plug-on adapter
- DUAL BALANCED-ARMATURE DRIVERS WITH PASSIVE CROSSOVER: The Westone UM Pro 20 features two proprietary, balanced-armature drivers, with a 2-way crossover. The dual driver delivers robust low end and crystal-clear highs, with all the detail and nuance that musicians have come to expect and demand from a professional in-ear monitor. Designed and built to perform in the most demanding environments, and will meet the needs of the most discerning musician and music lover
- THE MOST COMPACT, LOW PROFILE, ERGONOMIC DESIGN IN THE WORLD: Designed and built to perform in the most demanding environments, the compact, low-profile, ergonomic design of the UM Pro 20 is incredibly comfortable, and can be worn for hours and hours. Westone’s silicone and comfort foam eartips enhance the performance of our IEMs by providing superior noise isolation and ensuring a superb fit.
- TWISTED MMCX AUDIO CABLE: Westone’s professional-quality MMCX Audio Twisted Cable is manufactured using high-strength, high-flex, ultra-low resistance tensile wire, which is reinforced with a special aramid fiber. Twisted to help reduce cable noise and keep the cable light-weight, flexible, and comfortable, our cable features MMCX Audio Connectors and 3.5mm stereo plug. Built to withstand the rigors of the road, Westone’s MMCX Audio Cable is perfect for use on-stage, or for personal listening
- TECHNICAL SPECS: The Westone UM Pro 20 features two balanced-armature drivers and crossover, with 119 dB @ 1mW sensitivity, 20Hz - 18kHz frequency response, and an impedance of 27 ohms @ 1kHz
- ROAD-TESTED BY PRO MUSICIANS - The SE215 provides detailed sound with enhanced bass for personal listening or professional monitoring..Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- STRIKING FULL-RANGE SOUND from a single, vented balanced armature driver. Hear music the way it was meant to be heard.
- CUSTOMIZED FIT - Includes three sizes (S, M, L) of the flex and black foam sleeves. Experiment with the size and style that creates the best fit for you.
- SOUND ISOLATING TECHNOLOGY - Blocks up to 37 dB of noise to eliminate distractions. Enjoy the most immersive listening experience with a design that keeps earphones in and noise out during exercise or travel.
- SECURE, OVER-THE-EAR DESIGN - Wireform fit ensures earphones stay in place and cables remain out of the way.
- High performance balanced armature drivers are precision matched to within 1 dB
- Designed for sound engineers and audiophiles
- 10dB greater output at high frequencies and 13dB greater output at low frequencies than the ER4S
- Braided cables for reduced microphonic effect
- Includes an assortment of eartips for a comfortable fit and carrying case
- MADE FOR MUSIC: 2nd-generation M6 Pro in-ear monitors utilize a 5um driver diaphragm and aluminum voice coil to produce more precise movement than conventional drivers, delivering clear, full-range audio with more accurate mids and smoother highs
- Product Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- SOUND-ISOLATING DESIGN: closed-back earpiece design and 7 pairs of eartips, including Comply T-Series memory foam tips, to reduce ambient noise levels, enabling safer listening volumes and improving sound quality for a superior audio experience
- MEMORY WIRE EARHOOKS: flexible memory wire that conforms perfectly to your ears and seven pairs of included eartips provide a personalized, secure fit that stays comfortable all day and never falls out
- REAL-WORLD RELIABILITY, 2 CABLES INCLUDED: built to last with a sweat-resistant design and detachable, user-replaceable cables; includes regular audio cable and headset cable with built-in microphone and remote for PCs, consoles, and mobile devices
Now, it’s hard to say which are the best ear monitors for drummers, due to the fact that these little devices are very useful, no matter how you look at it.
Even the cheapest models are capable of providing decent noise insulation, but professional drummers should consider the more expensive ones if they want to expand and grow.
All of these in-ear monitors are very excellent in use and highly rated throughout the market. Its performance and characteristics are remarkable.
You may also be interested in our buying guides for Best Drumming Shoes and Best Jazz Music Drum Sets.
I hope this list helps you in your search for the best in ear monitors for drummers.