Ukuleles are beautiful instruments popularized by the humble people of the Hawaiian Islands. It resembles a guitar in design, but it also closely resembles different stringed instruments in several respects.
Soprano ukuleles are very popular due to their small size and classic, upbeat tone. But what is the best soprano ukuleles?
If you are looking for a best soprano ukulele for that purpose it can be difficult to find a high-quality one as there are so many options on the market and it leaves you so confused.
You’ll find all different types of ukuleles and there are some good buys that sound great, but the number of options is overwhelming.
This article hopes to provide information on this question to help guide you through the buying process, which for newcomers can be a bit overwhelming.
Features that we consider important to the purchasing process include weight, key, warranty information, and materials. You should take the time to research before committing to a purchase.
In a hurry? Here are quick links of our top 7 recommendations of best soprano ukuleles:
- Fender Grace Moonlight Soprano Uke
- Kala Ka-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
- Luna Honu Soprano Ukulele
- Donner Soprano Ukulele
- ADM Soprano Ukulele
- Diamond Head DU-150 Soprano Ukulele
- Cordoba 15SM Soprano Ukulele
Whatever your budget, here you can find an ideal choice of the best soprano ukuleles and all other areas of your life that demand pristine performances.
Check out my personal favorites and see what arouses your interest. My list of the best soprano ukuleles includes affordable, expensive, beginner-friendly soprano ukuleles.
Let us help you make the decision to purchase a soprano ukulele to begin your music career. These are some of the best soprano ukuleles you can buy today.
Best Soprano Ukuleles: Our Picks
Its review time! We have chosen some of the good ukulele brands that will meet the needs of most musicians. Use this list to get the most out of your next instrument purchase.
Here, we will provide a review of the best soprano ukuleles in detail so you can shop knowing everything. Let’s get started.
The Fender Grace Moonlight Soprano Ukulele is a perfect small instrument, comfortable to hold and easy to play, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking to start playing.
You will definitely be amazed at the sound that comes out of this instrument which you can tune using open-gear tuning pegs.
The Austin Bazaar tuner, case, and instructional video will help you become a high-performance artist in no time.
The Kala KA-15S Makala Soprano is one of the best beginner ukuleles you can find today.
It is also a favorite among ukulele enthusiasts due to its playability, good construction, and affordable.
With its small size, the KA-S has a rich, smooth, and full-bodied tone. It also features a high-action rosewood fingerboard and tuners tailored to keep you in tune.
This is a great looking, great playing soprano ukulele that won’t break the bank.
In essence, the Kala Ka-15S Soprano Ukulele features mahogany construction materials – this particular wood element provides exceptional sound resonance characterized by rich, crunchy tones.
The highs are quite accentuated while the lows are present but soft.
Simply put, you’ll get a rich sound to play with while learning the strings.
That being said, this is, in fact, a beginner soprano ukulele. It belongs to the “affordable” price category and is one of the best Kala Soprano ukuleles in the range.
Plus, it features traditional, aesthetic white binding on top, as well as the strikingly rear-facing accent.
You will see a set of four chrome die-cast machine pegs on the header which are not just for show.
They ensure that your Ka-15S uke will stay in tune for extended periods of time, which is not something that most ukulele models can boast about.
Lastly, there is the Kala ™ logo at the top, which is just beautiful. Although this is nothing more than an aesthetic piece, it is a sure sign of quality.
Like any beginner ukulele, this one isn’t perfect on its own. There are a couple of issues to expect, maybe not right away, but after a couple of months of playing with it.
First of all, the intonation of the Kala Ka-15S ukulele is almost flawless and the word “almost” should be heavily accented.
The Luna Honu Turtle Ukulele has a mahogany body and neck, as well as a rosewood fingerboard.
Stylized mother-of-pearl shark teeth serve as position markers on the 12-fret fingerboard, although at first glance they may just look like triangles.
It’s no wonder that many seasoned musicians choose exactly this one, considering that it is made entirely of mahogany and that the sound of the music it comes from is pleasantly rounded and warm.
This is the ONLY one for all soprano style lovers who care deeply about the sound of their music!
Imagine playing your favorite ukulele with advanced hardware and improved sound.
You no longer have to imagine, you can order Donner Soprano Ukulele Mahogany DUS-1.
This ukulele is easy to play thanks to its rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and the mahogany body, sides, and neck will ensure a rich and perfect sound.
ADM’s Soprano Ukulele Bundle is a cheaper option to consider. It is available in five different colors: black, blue, purple, pink, mocha, and brown (pictured). Each color model is equipped in the same way.
This ukulele features a beautiful mahogany body and head, along with a rosewood fingerboard with twelve brass frets.
The fret markings are painted on the 5th, 7th, and 10th frets, so you can more easily catch the wires.
It’s safe to say that all of the aforementioned color variations look stunning and striking, but this ukulele isn’t just for show.
It boasts a high level of playability due to the hand-picked basswood materials in the fingerboard and bridge, a good example of a well-balanced compromise between great feel and durability.
The basswood top is also quite sturdy, but the same goes for the basswood sides and bottom.
You can expect to get a bright and exquisitely distinctive tone while playing this remarkable ukulele.
Oh, by the way, it’s great for immediate beginners, as it comes packed with numerous free features, including a handy strap clasp, polishing cloth, LED-lit clip-on tuner, and more.
Diamond Head is one of the prominent leaders in the music equipment industry, and the DU-150 Soprano Ukulele is proof of their mastery.
This inexpensive ukulele can easily be compared to some more expensive ones, both in terms of aesthetics and performance.
This ukulele features a traditional design, strong and sturdy maple construction with a touch of a high-gloss finish, and comes with special guitar-shaped tuners that ensure this ukulele remains in tune at all times.
The package comes with the ukulele, a clip-on tuner, and an instruction book, “Play Ukulele Today” by Hal Leonard.
The Diamond Head DU-150 Soprano Ukulele is a fantastic choice for musicians who like to keep things simple. This uke sports a body and neck made of maple and stained with a rich mahogany brown finish.
The finish not only makes the ukulele more attractive, but it also protects it from scratches and makes the DU-150 more durable. The dark-stained hardwood fingerboard and bridge provide a nice contrast.
What sets this model apart from other soprano ukuleles in its price range is its guitar-style geared tuners.
The nickel-plated tuners with white knobs have a high gear ratio and smooth turning action, making it easy for ukulele beginners to tune their instruments. The tuners add a level of sophistication to the humble and straightforward uke.
The Diamond Head DU-150 soprano ukulele also features a tie-down bridge, which minimizes string breakage and makes it easy for musicians to change their strings when necessary.
The 15SM is made of mahogany, probably laminated. As a general rule of thumb, when a company does not specify that an instrument is made of solid wood, the instrument is likely to be made of laminate.
Although solid wood is generally more desirable, the strength of laminated wood makes it a good choice for beginning musicians who don’t yet know how to care for a solid wood instrument.
What Is A Soprano Ukulele?
The simplest and most direct answer to the question of “What is a soprano ukulele” would be the following: “It is a four-stringed instrument that bears the label of chordophone compound by the Hornboste-Sachs classification, and was developed somewhere 19th century? century”.
However, there is more to soprano ukuleles than just that.
You may not know it, but the soprano ukulele is also known as the “standard ukulele”.
It is used as a starting point to determine the size of others (and additional classification) which are then labeled as smaller or larger, for example, the ukuleles that today we call pocket uke are also called “Piccolo” or ” Sopranino “, which basically means” a smaller version of Soprano”.
Is a Soprano Ukulele Good for Beginners?
To put it bluntly, the soprano ukulele is really good for beginners.
Better yet, it’s pretty much great for beginners – there are a host of reasons and facts that can back up this claim, and we’re going to list just a few of the most notable ones.
Why Soprano Ukulele Is Good For Beginners:
- One of the most affordable string instruments and one of the cheapest ukulele sub-categories.
- The smallest ukulele (not taking into account the pocket ukulele) that is both the lightest and the easiest to handle
- Exceptional playability due to low fret count and weightless qualities
- Excellent as a travel companion, which means you can practice and play anywhere, anytime.
- It can be played with or without a strap without significant differences.
How To Play a Soprano Ukulele?
Ukuleles are supposed to be played like any other string instrument; You can choose between playing with your bare hands, with a pick (for guitar), or with thumb picks, although uke is traditionally played with only your hands.
Beyond that note, while guitars are played almost exclusively on a strap, the ukulele set offers two options in this regard.
Most ukulele players play without a strap, but if you find it too difficult to play without one, there are plenty of styles and types of ukulele straps at your disposal (one button, uke straps, etc.).
A ukulele fretboard looks a lot like an acoustic guitar fretboard, only this time there are only four strings, hence four rows of notes for fret (which is reminiscent of a bass fretboard, to be blunt).
You should find a chord book if you are a complete beginner as it will provide you with the much-needed information on finger position – ukuleles are quite easy to play and master, so even if you wanted to continue as a self-learning prodigy, you won’t face too many obstacles.
So, which is the best soprano ukulele right now?
The best soprano ukulele really depends on what type of ukulele you are looking for, what level of performance you are on, and how you want to use it.
We have reviewed some amazing guitars in this review. These ukeleles were chosen simply based on their suitability for beginners and regardless of their cost.
Our best choice for the best soprano ukulele is the Fender Grace Moonlight.
We chose this one because it gives you everything you need for a pleasant guitar playing experience – great design is needed to go with the gear and most importantly, wonderful authentic sound. This combination of price, quality, and appearance makes this ukelele our best option.
- Soprano-sized ukulele
- Gold hardware; Gold sparkle rosette
- Custom floral sound hole label inspired by Just The Beginning album art
- Pull-through bridge
- Warranty Included
- Kala’s KA-15S came into the world in 2005 as the answer to a high-quality, affordable, entry-level ukulele and still remains the unrivaled ukulele in its class.
- The KA-15S is well-suited for classroom use, practicing, and acoustic performance. It is the instrument of choice for schools - More people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand
- A very traditional Mahogany Soprano Ukulele in a satin finish with a bright, warm, full-bodied tone.
- Comes with a beautiful Walnut Fingerboard and Bridge, Mahogany Neck, 12 Brass Frets, GraphTech NuBone and Aquila Super Nylgut Strings from Italy and distinguished by its etched Polynesian-style Shark Teeth rosette
- Kala ukuleles are played by some of the most renowned players around the world including: twenty one pilots, Vance Joy, dodie, EatMyUke, The Ukulele Teacher, and Zac Brown.
- The Luna Guitars Honu Soprano Ukulele boasts decorations inspired from traditional Hawaiian body tattoos
- This design is based on a Hawaiian turtle (honu), a symbol of longevity and endurance rendered in a Polynesian tattoo style
- The fret markers are stylized shark's teeth
- Includes gig bag, tuner, and chord chart
- This all Mahogany Uke offers incredibly high quality at an exceptional price
- Well Made Mahogany Craftsmanship: Smooth Mahogany body produces a crisp and pleasant sound. Highly polished smooth Aquila ukulele strings with elevated resistance to wear under tension. Well polished smooth rosewood fingerboard and bridge provides a comfortable playability. Sami-Open finish with 9-cycle grinding and polishing process
- Warm Rich Sound: Ukulele Mahogany top body and neck bring you much richer, brighter and warmer sound; High density bone nut and saddle combine with 4 advanced Aquila carbon nylon strings to gain clear and nice resonance and more sustain from Mahogany body
- Come with Everything You Need: Soprano ukulele bundle pack includes soprano ukulele, gig bag, strap, tuner, 4 extra Aquila nylon strings, 4 picks and cleaning cloth. Meet all needs of both beginners and professionals. Padded gig bag features backpack style with 2 padded shoulder straps and exterior pocket for easy comfortable carry and well protection for ukelele. A decent gift for birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc
- Easy to Play with Free Video Lesson: Get started with Donner 21 inch ukulele and professional free ONLINE VIDEO uku lessons for beginners. Easy to understand and get started. Donner ukulele bundle kit is great ukelele set for adults, beginners or professionals to play for fun or interest
- Easy to Tune: Donner patented chrome-plated guitar style tuners increase accuracy and keep ukulele always in tune. Digital clip-on tuner is easy to tune and play. 18 brass frets with fret position marks at 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard. Classic and Unique Soundhole Ring
- 【SUPERIOR-QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP】ADM Soprano 21" ukulele are made of high-quality solid basswood which offers a bright and distinctive tone whether you solo, play along or singing with friends. Highly polished smooth nylon strings with elevated resistance to wear under tension and the eco-friendly design make it your favorite musical instrument
- 【COMPREHENSIVE ALL-IN-ONE SET WITH FREE LESSONS】Our ukulele beginners set includes a 21" soprano ukelele, a handy digital tuner(battery not included), a ukalalee gig bag, two spare picks, a spare string, a microfiber polishing cloth,a strap, a convenient storage bag，a fingerboard sticker, a chord card and you will also enjoy extra one-month lesson by contacting us when the item arrive
- 【HAPPY PLAYING & EASY TO TUNE】12 Nickel Silver Frets with correct frets positing marked on 5th, 7th, 10th of blackwood fingerboard. The string height at 12th fret is 3-3.5mm, best for kid or beginner. The right string height makes it easier to play and reduce your fingure pressure. Most string instruments initially need time to adjust to the climate and such. Continue tuning it every time if it goes out of tune, and eventually it will adjust
- 【GREAT GIFT FOR BEGINNERS】Save your hand and earned money on costly lessons, our ADM soprano ukulele together with the beginners pack is the best choice for adults or kids who are just getting started with Ukulele. Great for birthdays, Christmas, Children’s Day, housewarming, graduation gifts and much more. Now you can teach yourself the ukulele, thanks to our all-inclusive beginner's kit
- 【EVERYONE CAN PLAY】Suitable for music lovers of all ages.Whether you are a child, a student, an adlut or an elderly, novices or professionals, this beginner ukulele set is suitable for everyone who starts to play a musical instrument. Our soprano ukulele together with the beginners pack is your best choice and worth giving it a shot to see if it interests you
- Number Of Strings: 4
- Mahogany top
- Mahogany back and sides
- Abalone rosette
- Rosewood bridge and fingerboard
- Natural satin finish
Soprano ukuleles are the most natural type of ukuleles. All of the instruments that we explore in our soprano ukulele reviews are great choices, and you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
All the ukuleles on this list sound great and are fun to play, and you’ll find yourself playing them to strum over and over again.
Finally, if you want high-quality materials, impeccable craftsmanship, and a world-class tone, you should go for a professional ukulele from any of the best ukulele brands.
Whatever your wishes, you are now a more educated buyer and you will definitely be more satisfied with your instrument.
We hope this guide has helped you choose the best soprano ukulele!